WordPress was never designed to be a file storage solution which is why it's so much harder to use than tools like Dropbox. What's more, the media library was designed for files stored locally within WordPress, not in the cloud. You can use plugins to offload files from the media library but plugin authors themselves acknowledge this is "a bit of a hack".
That's why we built WP Media Manager, which provides Dropbox-like functionality directly within WordPress. Historically it was challenging to cleanly integrate the standard WordPress UI with cloud storage providers such as Amazon S3. We've spent a lot of time coding away to provide the best way of integrating WordPress with best-in-class cloud storage.
WP Media Manager allows you to store all your files in the cloud and display these on your WordPress website. This is particularly useful if you store large files, large numbers of files, or if you are generally concerned about performance or security. It provides a way to expand your server storage from your normal server to where storage is practically infinite.
With WP Media Manager you can:
- Organise files in folders and subfolders
- Allows users to navigate through folders
- Upload really big files
- Store 1000, 10,000 or 100,000+ files at very low cost
- Allow users to upload files to you
- Setup custom notifications when you receive files
- Generate thumbnails and previews for image files automatically
- Enable increased security through file signatures
- Integrate and monitor with Google Analytics
- Manage all of the above easily within your standard WordPress dashboard
Lastly, we sort all of the hosting for you, so you'll be up and running within a couple of minutes.
Installing The Plugin
Prior to installing the plugin please inform us of the following:
- Describe briefly how you plan to use the plugin?
- Which WordPress hosting provider do you use?
- What version of WordPress are you running?
- Which version of PHP are you running?
- Do you have full administrator access to your site?
- Do you have SFTP access to your site?
- Are we installing on a test site or production site?
- If we're installing on a production site, have you taken a full backup?
We will provide you with the latest plugin (.zip) install file in addition to:
- Your S3 Bucket Name
- Your S3 Region
- Your Access ID
- Your Secret Access Key